We've officially been here 10 days! In some ways it feels like I've been here a lot longer than that. Maybe it's because I've really settled into my routine with my Guatemalan family, and I finally have a consistent schedule again, or maybe it's because I really like the tranquilo Latin American life. Either way, I'm really thankful to be here and for the opportunity to only study Spanish for 3 months. I joke that I've finished my first week of kindergarten. I sound out almost all my words and I can say very simple things like "I like music," "I talk to my parents," "I study much Spanish." I'm slowly able to put more and more words together to form sentences, but it's definitely humbling not being able to communicate as an educated adult! I received at least 400 vocab words in the past week and have been feverishly trying to learn them. As I write, I'm sitting in an internet cafe making flash cards to help me learn!
In class this week I got some of my words confused and I told my teacher that I carried my books in a big blue onion to school. Yup...I meant bag, not onion. No wonder she was looking at me so funny!
On a funny note, I was sitting at an outdoor basketball court with Kelli and Leah the other day and randomly we saw a horse come galloping down the road and around the corner dragging a brach from the tree that it broke free from. About 20 or 30 seconds later a group of men and boys on bicycles and motorcycles came chasing after it. It's not every day you get to see a horse loose on the streets!
1 comment:
!Yo quiero Taco Bell! Everyone takes baby steps when they are babies. You are learning and that's great. Keep up the good work.
Post a Comment